Q. How do I join BERT?

A. Employers will complete the Application Form  Click here for the Employer Application Form

     Members will automatically join upon employer contributing on their behalf. No action is required on behalf of the member to join. To see if you are eligible click here   

Q. How do I claim my BERT?

A. You can claim any of BERTs Benefits by filling out the appropriate claim form and posting, faxing, emailing or handing the form into the BERT Office. For;

Q. What forms are required to claim my BERT?

A. The forms you will need depend on the type of claim you are making, see Members - How to Claim for documents to accompany the appropriate claim form relevant to your claim.

Q. What Tax rate do I pay?

A. The Tax rate you pay is dependant on the type of payment being made, if there is a TFN on file for you and if you are over the preservation age. Below is the breakdown of Tax rates based on payment type and preservation age.

Please Note: If a Tax file number is not stored on our system for you you will be taxed at the 47% rate.

 Claim TypeUnder the
preservation age
Refer to table below
Over the
preservation age
Refer to table below
 Redundancy 32% 17%
 Disability 32% 17%
 Leaving the Industry 47% 47%
 Leaving Australia 47% 47%
 Financial Hardship 47% 47%
 Retirement 32% 17%

Preservation Age

 Date Of BirthPreservation Age
Before 1 July 1960 55
1 July 1960 - 30 June 1961 56
1 July 1961 - 30 June 1962 57
1 July 1962 - 30 June 1963 58
1 July 1963 - 30 June 1964 59
After 30 June 1964 60

Q. How do I get a copy of the ETP form?

A. To print your ETP for tax purposes, please log into your BOBB account where your ETP letter is available for download.

Q. How do I get a copy of my statement?

A. To view or print your statements for BERT and STQ contributions, please log into your BOBB account where your statements are available for download by financial year under the Payments/Contributions page.

Q. What Code do I advise the ATO with for my ETP benefits paid?

A. O - Is the code you will need to advise the ATO for all BERT benefit payments.

Q. Can I pay my own BERT?

A. Unfortunately no, BERT is an employer contributed fund only. You have to be an employee who is working on a Union EBA site to have an Employer pay BERT into your account on your behalf.

Q. Is BERT a true redundancy?

A. BERT is a Workers Entitlement Fund and as such have slightly different rules regarding tax. Any benefit payments paid by the fund are known as Employment Termination Payments (ETP) which are taxed differently to genuine redundancy payments made by an employer upon termination of employment. Please refer to the ATO website for more information on Tax.

Q. How long does it take to get BERT Benefit Payment?

A. From the day we receive all of the required documents allowing us to process your claim, please then allow for 3-5 working days for the money to be put into your bank account. If you have opted to receive payment in the form of a Cheque it may take longer to receive due to postage turnaround. If you are claiming a Financial Hardship benefit, allow for 7 - 10 working days.

Q. Can I track the progress of a claim?

A. BERT will provide an automated response to any emailed claims to the claims@bert.com.au address upon receipt of your email indicating your claim has been received. The Operations Team will be in contact with you if there is any queries or missing information regarding your claim within 24 hours.

A text message will be sent upon approval of the claim for members who have provided a mobile number on their claim form, or a letter posted once your claim has been processed. However you can check at anytime on BOBB to see if your claim has been submitted, approved or paid throughout the process.

Q. Why do I require a bank statement?

A. If you wish to have your benefit payment paid to you as EFT we will use your bank statement to confirm your Account Name, BSB and Account Number to ensure we are paying into your correct account. Please note we do not pay third party bank accounts. Alternatively you can have your benefit payments paid via Cheque.


Q. What is BEWT?

A. The Building Employees Welfare Trust is the Welfare arm of BERT. This is available to provide funding for additional benefits for BERT members.

Q. How do I claim?

A. See the Member - Benefits section of the website to make a claim for any of the following BERT benefits paid for by the BEWT fund.

Q. Do I have to be a member of the union?

A. Some of the BERT benefits require you to be fully paid member of the Union these include Dental, Funeral, Child Care and Travel Insurance.

Q. What other things does BEWT pay for?


  • Work Injury Management Service
  • BERT Training Queensland
  • Mates in Construction
  • Financial planning
  • Travel insurance
  • Child care benefit
  • Counselling
  • Funeral benefit
  • Dental benefit
  • Ambulance cover (CFMEU NT Members only)