Call Us At 1300 261 114
Call Us At 1300 261 114

Travel Insurance Q&A


These questions and answers are to guide you. You still need to refer to the Policy Wording (PDS) and Schedule for terms and conditions of the Policy

  • Am I covered for COVID?

If you contract COVID whilst overseas, you are covered for unlimited medical expenses. If you contract COVID, you are covered for cancellation fees, loss of deposits or unused portion of travel on prepaid tickets and bookings that cannot be claimed from anyone else, and additional accommodation, meal and travelling expenses: $5,000 per person up to a maximum of $10,000 per trip.

  • Who do I contact in an emergency if I get sick or injured while travelling overseas?

In the event of an accident, illness or emergency during your trip overseas, please contact the medical and emergency assistance team. The team of specialists is available worldwide, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to help travellers in case of an emergency.

Phone: +61 2 8907 5660  Email: Assist@worldtravelprotection.com

  • What happens if I get sick or injured overseas but it is not an emergency?

 If you need medical treatment whilst overseas, keep all your receipts and medical reports (i.e. hospital discharge summary, test results, etc.) to support your claim when you return home.

  • Am I covered for an existing medical condition?

 You are not covered for any medical condition (including pregnancy), for which treatment, medication, advice, or investigation was received by a medical professional in the 30 days prior to the booking of the journey; or if the condition is under investigation. For example if you have an existing heart condition, it will not be covered under this policy.

You may be covered for a limited number of existing medical conditions (listed on Page 2 of the Schedule) as long as you ARE NOT on any waiting list for treatment/s and/or hospital and provided you ARE NOT waiting for results for medical tests or investigations connected to this condition. 

  • Do I need to take out additional insurance for the excess through the car hire company if I hire a car?

 If you are involved in a collision whilst in in control of a hire car, or if the hire car is stolen or damaged, you can claim the amount of excess you have paid to the car hire company up to a maximum of $4,000.

  • What happens if my bag does not turn up?

If your baggage is delayed, misdirected or misplaced by any carrier for more than 8 hours, you can be reimbursed the cost of having to purchase emergency clothing and personal items up to $500 (nil excess).

Baggage and personal effects are limited to $1,000 for any one item other than:

Personal Computers       $6,000

Cameras & Videos           $4,000

Dentures $ Prosthesis    $  800

There is no cover for personal computer, communication or photographic equipment, electronic equipment, jewellery or watches checked in as baggage.

  • What happens if the airline cancels my flight?

You can claim for cancellation fees, lost deposits and non-refundable unused portions of travel on prepaid tickets and bookings that cannot be recovered from any other source. This means that you are required to contact the airline/travel provider in the first instance for a refund, replacement flight or credit voucher and can then submit a claim if you have not been fully compensated.

Please note QBE is unable to reimburse prepaid bookings that have been compensated in the form of vouchers/credits unless they are expired. If unable to use, they need evidence from the relevant booking providers/airlines confirming such credits have been voided rendering your bookings to be completely cancelled with neither refunds, nor vouchers/credits.

  • Can I ride a scooter or motorcycle overseas?

If you are riding a scooter or motorcycle over 100cc, you need to have a license that is valid in Australia (excluding as a pillion passenger) to be covered.

You are not covered riding a 4-wheel motorcycle, even as a pillion passenger.

  • Am I covered for skiing and snowboarding?

The policy will respond to skiing and snowboarding, however, you are not covered if you are participating in or training for any professional sport.

  • Does this policy cover my spouse and children?

Cover extends to your spouse and dependent children while they are accompanying you during your trip.  There is no cover for your spouse and dependent children if you do not accompany them.  You would need to source alternative insurance for your spouse and dependent children if they are not travelling with you.

  • How many days travel can I be insured for?

Period of travel is up to a maximum of 180 days (commences on the date you leave your usual home residence and ends on the 180th day or the date you return to your usual residence in Australia, whichever occurs first)

Contact Windsor Management Insurance Brokers on (07) 3230 9300 for a quote for any travel periods in excess of 180 days.

  • How much is the excess if I lodge a claim?

If you need to make a claim, you will be required to contribute to the amount of any claim.  The excess applicable is $250.00.